Have you used Snapchat Geofilters before? Are you thinking of using Geofilters on Snapchat for your business?
Geofilters on Snapchat are popular and powerful.
Visit any city and open up your Snapchat app and you’ll see them. (If you have location tracking enabled in the app.)
There are literally hundreds of thousands of these filters available around the world.
Understanding Snapchat Geofilters:
Before we dive into the 3 reasons why these Geofilters are beneficial for businesses, let’s be sure we understand what they are.
I’m going to answer a few commonly-asked questions about these filters.
What are Snapchat Geofilters exactly?
Snapchat Geofilters are location-based, in-app “ads” on Snapchat.
How do you access them?
Take a snap and swipe right. When added to your story, these filters add extra “juice” to your stories through an additional animation.
Extra juice to your story means more entertainment value. We all know the more entertaining you are, the more views you’ll get.
Are they easy to create?
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Snapchat.com, click “Geofilters”
- Pick either “Community” (meant for cities/locations) or “On-Demand”
- Next, you’ll design or upload your filter. Worth noting is that uploaded files must be transparent.
- Select the geolocation.
- Pick the date range: you can select 30 days out.
- Buy it: you’ll wait around 48 hours for your filter to be approved or rejected.
Using Geofilters to benefit your business:
Now that you understand what a Geofilter is and how to create one, it’s time to discuss the benefits to businesses that use them.
Here are the 3 reasons why these filters are beneficial for business:
- Available to anyone: The best part about Geofilters is that you don’t have to be creating content on Snapchat to make one. Anyone can create a Snapchat filter and submit it to Snapchat for a specific location and timeframe. This means that as a business, you can create filters without having to craft an entire Snapchat strategy for daily content creation.
- Huge reach: These filters amplify your presence in a specific location. Anyone in the location you selected will have the ability to access your filter. As a business, this means that you can create unique, creative filters at your different locations. For instance, MGM Resorts use Snapchat Geofilters to provide a different experience at each of their properties. They create customized filters for each property; these filters align with the look and feel of each specific resort.
- Drive brand awareness: Geofilters provide an amazing opportunity to grow brand awareness. Utilize your brand’s fonts and color scheme when designing your filter. While Snapchat doesn’t allow you to include phone numbers, usernames and/or websites, you can add characters and slogans. Get creative with how you can create a unique character that reflects your brand and is fun for your audience to engage with by adding to their story.
Whether you spend more time on Snapchat creating or consuming, you’ve seen these Geofilters at play.
Whenever I’m somewhere new, I’ll take a snap and swipe right to see what Geofilters are available for use.
Geofilters are engaging; using them helps make your story more entertaining.
Do you use Geofilters in your story?
Share your thoughts in the comments below!